Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

proliant 5500 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualgeorge

Technical User
Jun 27, 2005
Hope its ok to ask noob questions here as I am not a server guy but want to learn.

I have a proliant 5500 that has NT 4.0 on it but I would like to load server 2000 as I have 2 other servers on the network with 2k and all workstations are 2k. So I figured things would be easier if they were all 2k and all data on the nt server can be erased.

So first thing to get started is that I should go download the smart array 221 controller driver from HP as I will need that when loading the new OS, correct?

I currently have 3 9.1 scsi drives in the hot swap cages but my current array only shows 18 gig so I think one is not working or maybe thats just how it was setup. Not sure how to test but I just removed drives one at a time re-inserted to let rebuild or what ever they do and only 2 of the cages light up and the third does not. So how do I test to see if all 3 drives are functioning?

I figured I should buy some new larger drives so could that mean a firmware update is needed or how do I determine max drive size. I thought I read in the docs that 18 gig was the max size. And if I want to purchase additional cages, what do I get or should I just look for part#'s on the currently installed cages?

I am wanting to use this server to store backups from my other 2 servers.

Thanks,
-George

Got the server setup with win2k and I have 2 ibm 18.2 drives and quantum 9.1 drive so it doesn't see the 9.1. So I will buy more 18.2 drives or can I go higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back