Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProLiant 5500 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

daltocli

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2007
GB
Heya,

I bought a Compaq ProLiant about 2 months ago, for handling web serving, etc (don't need a stupidly powerful machine to host websites, after all!)

The spec is:
- Dual Intel Pentium III Xeon 550MHz, 512KiB cache
- 512Mb EDO RAM
- 3x 18Gb SCSI SCA HDDs

I recently purchased 4x Intel Pentium III Xeon 700MHz CPUs (2MiB cache). After making a minor modification to the server (I got rid of a tad of plastic stopping the heatsinks sliding in), I booted the server - Nothing happened.

After replacing the server "lid", I pressed the master switch and it powers up - however the LED screen doesn't pass "Compaq Firmware Driver 1.9" info screen and the monitor doesn't pickup a signal.

Any ideas how I can get the 700MHz CPUs to work? Also I noticed two boards, either side of *one* bank of CPUs (where the original 550MHz CPUs were hosted). What're they all about and do I need two more, or can I use one per bank of CPUs?

Any help would be most greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
~ Tom

Firstly, the Proliant 5500 has dipswitches on the case so that it will not power up unless the lid is on unless you hold down the dipswitch with a screwdriver :)

The boards next to the CPUs should be the Processor Power Modules (see Page 4-8 of this link: Obviously every processor should have a compatible board (I don't know if the 700Mhz needs different boards)

You may need to do several things. Firstly check the processor jumper settings. The 700MHz processors are not listed in the documents so try the highest settings (can be found on page 4-5 of this link:
Secondly, what is your BIOS version? Possibly look at an upgrade? Link:
--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

hummm... are 700mhz processors compatible? the proliant 5500 runs on 100MHz FSB processors only..maybe your 700 procs run on 133MHZ FSB? I think the plastic stoppers you got rid of were there to aid in differentiation of correct processors.

Try to boot with original processors, or, as TheLad says, upgrade firmware with SmartStart CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back