Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 4500 Fails to Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

boz22182

Technical User
Feb 13, 2002
US
Compaq 4500, single power supply 4x processors, been working fine for about a year. Lately I've had a series of unexplained reboots. Now, when power is applied the disk leds come on for about 3 seconds and then the box goes cold. I suspect it is the power supply but wanted to make sure there isn't a fuse somewhere. Also, any reason not to use a generic power supply that matches up voltage and amps as opposed to the one available from compaw at a staggerring 385.00.

btw, attached drive array powers up fine.

TIA,

Mike

I have the exact same problem with a rack-mountable Proliant 4500. I'm looking into whether a power supply from a 5000 will do.

You could also buy a repaired power supply from Compaq that is cheaper.

I would recommend against a third-part power supply...I'd look for a remanufactured Compaq one. The older Compaq servers were great, but notoriously finnicky about using their own parts.

As for what is at fault, it does sound like the power supply. There isn't much else internal on those that could cause it.

Hey I have an extra 100% working powersupply for a 4500. The scsi controller went out so I scrapped the whole unit, taking out ofcourse all the spare parts. Anyways I could sell you the powersupply for $200 + shipping if you want. I will also give you like a 30 day warranty? Just so you know I am not trying to take you on it. Anyways if your interested just email me at hansthebaker@rasalvatore.com.
Thanks,
Hans

Does anyone know if a 540W power supply for a Proliant 5000 can be fitted into a 4500R?

The Compaq spare part number for a 540W is different (Spare P/N: 163828-001), as the 4500R's need a 500W (188407-001) p/w. Has it been done?

Where are you from Hans? Hopefully, it's close to Australia. ;)

Thanks,

David.

eek! I am in Texas! Lemme look at this 4500's power supply real quick. Hrmmmm i guess the powersupplys for the 4500 and the 4500r must differ. my 4500 power supply is 540watts and # is 188408-001. I dont know how that will go being as these compaq servers are really picky :) . But then again I dont normally deal with servers. So dont use me as a point of reference please!!(For your own good!)
Hans

Here are apare part # for Compaq PSU.
as diamondlod said, I do noy suggest using any third part PSU.
And as per following info I still do not suggest mixing PSUs as they might damage the PSU backplane board.

PL5000 Power Supply Spare# 219447-001
PL5000R Redundant Power Supply 488 W(Optional)
spare# 165628-001

PL4500T Power Supply Tower Model Spare# 188406-001
PL4500R Power Supply Rack Model spare# 188407-001
PL4500 Redundant Power Supply 488 W(Option)# Spare#163828-001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back