Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 3000 won't run two processors known good

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajr3

MIS
Jan 11, 2002
US
I've got a Proliant 3000 and two 300 MHz P-II processors. Either processor will work in either slot. (i.e, proc 1 in slot A - OK, proc 1 in slot B - OK, proc 2 in slot A - OK, proc 2 in slot B - OK). However when I install both processors at once I always get "Processor 2 failure" (212 error). Doesn't matter which processor I've got in which slot, the durn thing just won't run two processors.

If I run Sys Config I get the "Have you repaired processor 2?" message. When I respond Yes I get the durn force reboot. After reboot, same message, over and over (endless loop). If I say "No" to that question processor 2 does show up but with "Failed" and no changeable options.

I've tried zeroing the configuration, flashing the ROM BIOS to current version (E39), and sacrificing a chicken ;-)

Any clues?

On some Compaq servers, when they reboot, if you press the F9 key you should be taken to another menu which gives you the opportunity to mark the processor as being repaired.

You could have mixed processor steppings. If so the Bios in your system may not support mixed steppings. Make sure you have the latest available Bios update.

Another problem with mixed processor steppings particularily with PII and below is that not all of the processor steppings support multi processor use. Some processors when tested immediately after manufacturing where not stable in a multi processor environment but where find for for single processor desktop use. If one or both of your processors is that kind you are out of luck.

Intel has information on their software and hardware designer pages about identification, steppings and errata on all their processors. Go here to the Literature center and search for the PII specifications.

Thanks. My two processors were the same step. It turned out to be a bad motherboard!

Have you revolve it???
I have the same problem!!!
Can you help me??
Thanks

Quote:

"It turned out to be a bad motherboard!"

I guess the problem was resolved! -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Gee... I find this a little odd. I had the EXACT same problem and, I too, fixed it with a new motherboard. What the heck? Is there a big time known issue with these boards? The board actually worked fine for years, and then one day, BOOM, I got the CPU 2 error.

Weird.

Guess it just gave up..... could be coincidence or maybe a genetic problem with that type of motherboard?? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Well well well, I was looking for an answer to the same problem and am thinking that this is a genetic problem. Same for me, worked one day and then boom. Unfortunately for me it was the day after I bought it for $500 bucks. Then called HP to find out about a new motherboard and they quoted me at $1500. Sometimes life is good, sometimes.....

It's only money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back