Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 3000 No Post No Fans 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2005
US
I have a Proliant 3000 server that I just picked up. It will not post no matter what I tried. It came with dual power supplies and will not boot with both of them or o ne of them tried in either PS slot.

I tried using memory from a Proliant 1600 that works in both the on-board and riser card with no luck. I tried theriser card and 2nd CPU spacer board from a 1600 as well with no luck. Part numbers all were the same.

I tried a working processor/processort board/VRM from a Proliant 1600 that works and no luck.

FYI I did tape the case open switch down so it wouldn't cause problems.

I then pulled the drive cage out and no difference.

I have all the cards out, CD, floppy, etc all unplugged.

When I plug power in the LCD panel somes up and stays at the Firmware scrren. Nothing else. No beeps. The Power Supply displays 1 orange and 10 green blinks on it's second LED. The other one stays green. I cannot find a lookup of these anywhere. When I hit the power the back moves a tiny bit quickly and then stops and the red LEDs on the processor board fflash quickly and then stop. This seems to repeat about ever 30 seconds or so.

I am really stunped and I need to get this up and running ASAP. This is a PII300 Slot 1 single proc system with the riser cards for processor and memory. My guess is motherboard, but in searching the threads here I found so many Proliant 1600/3000 issues where folks thought it was a board and it turned out something else that I do not want to try and order one without getting some feedback from the forum here. Also, I do not have another 3000 to get parts from. Just a couple PII 300 Proliant 1600s.
I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you.

I just went through the same stuff with a 3000 yesterday, and after much tinkering it is up and running.... Here are some tips for you to try out, I'm not sure if any of these were the cause of my problem but after going through them it is running great now!

- Ensure the processor card (if single processor) is installed in Slot 1 (top), and the terminator is in Slot 2 (with the memory board below it).
- Ensure your jumpers are set correctly. The system settings ones (at very top of motherboard) should all be set to Off. The System config/processor speed jumpers for a 300mhz should be set to (from 1 to 8) On, On, Off, On, Off, Off, Off, Off.
- Unplug all extra cards, and ensure you have at least one hard drive in the cage.
- Ensure both case switches are down, best to put the covers (top and side) back in place even if they are not screwed tight.

Most important note that tripped me, sometimes it takes up to 45 seconds for it to actually start up, even while the power supply lights are blinking 10 times... That blink code from what I found means that the power supplies are going to restart in 20 seconds, as they have some type of reset sequence to run. Typically I push the power button on mine and the LCD is on, the power supplies start flashing, and about 30 seconds later the fans kick in and it starts to boot up....

Give this all a shot and if it doesn't get you anywhere, post back here and I'll see what else I can come up with!

Both case switches?
The light dawns....I was only disabling one....
All up and functioning now....I appreciate your help so much....thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back