Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 2500 upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph0eniX

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2002
US
Hi, I have an old Proliant 2500. It has a 200MHz processor in it and I'd love to upgrade it to a faster one but I don't know what CPUs the mobo can take. I haven't found a whole lot about that model on HPs website. If the mobo is maxed out, perhaps I could get a different one that will still work with the Compaq management utilities. I'd be happy if I can bring it up to 600 or 700MHz.

Thanks in advance!

You can replace the Pentium Pro with an Intel Pentium Pro Overdrive CPU which is a Pentium II 333MHz CPU in a PPro case. I've got two 2500's with dual Overdrive P2s and they work great.

-Jeff

There is also a very, very rare PII/333 upgrade kit for that machine. It replaces most of the guts of that box so you can have slot 1 processors in it.

But, for practical purposes, the PII-OD is a great choice. As already posted, 333Mhz, but with 512K FULL SPEED L2 cache ... runs like a PII/450 in my opinion. I have run those chips in some of my older dual PPro workstations.

Case wise, its the same as just about everything else in that family ... 1600, 800, 370, even the PWS 6000/8000 used the same base chassis design. Loads of fun, those servers are.

- LC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back