Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 & ML370 Disks not found 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cepeleon

Programmer
Apr 18, 2006
GB
Hi,

I have two old servers a Proliant 1600 and an ML370.

The systems were originally set up on w2k server (p1600) and NT4 server (ml370).

They had raid 5 on both as far as I can tell.

I upgraded both systems with W2K3 server but did not set up the raid array because these servers are now just being used as test dummys.

The P1600 has 3 9GB hot swappable drives, one of these apparently failed (red lighting on display) so I decided to remove the faulty disk put the other two disks together and restart the server.

However after restart the server could not find any disks on the smart array. No power lights were being shown on the disks either.

Because it was an old server we decided to just spend money on buying a new ML350 G4 server and that was that.

However I was told by a technician that I could probably recover data on the P1600 drives by taking out all the ML370's 5 34GB hotswap HDDs and putting the PL1600's in their place.

I powered down the ML370, removed the disks in order, added the 3 p1600 disks turned the power back on.

The ML370 did not find the disks which was no surprise but when I ran the smartstart CD (version 5.0) I was told that the array was fine but no disks where found.

I also checked the lights, not one of the disks had power.

I then removed these disks and re-added in order the old disks. Turned the ML370 on and I have exactly the same problem.

The server boots up to the smart array, doesnt find any disks, no lights on any disk and when run with smartstart the array appears to be fine.

I was told that it may be that the smart array on the machines may not be set up as the primary boot device so I used the smartstart cd to set the smartarray as the primary device under the RBU section.

Still no joy, any thoughts?

Yes all the cables are seated properly.

I even changed the SCSI cable tested it.

Changed the power leads tested it.

Moved the SCSI smart array card to another slot tested it.

Used the onboard SCSI (on the motherboard) and tested it.

In all cases no SCSI devices are detected and the drives to not appear to power up.

I am a little alarmed because this would possibly suggest that the backplane has gone but surely backplanes in two seperate machines can't be this flimsy?

What other possibilities are there?

it would definitely look like the back plane...if the drives dont light up at all the they dont spin then i would guess backplane could also be the system board...... Im not too sure on this one this is an odd situation. if the ml370 went dead when you put the disks from the p1600 in i wouldnt put those disks in any other systems.

try new disks first
then backplane
then maybe system board/CPU

just try everything your system is dead it cant get any worse.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back