Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1600 / 550 with Array.. bigger HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cetinokt

Technical User
May 17, 2005
CH
hi i have 2 little 9.1 gb hds in an array case, now i want to buy bigger hds, but im not sure if it ll work without extra investitions..

i could buy:

Hitachi Ultrastar 73 GB 68 Pin 10000RPM Model 10K300 Series HUS103073FL3600 Ultra320 SCSI Drive LVD/SE

or

36.7GB Wide,IBM IC35L036UWD210
68P, U160S, 10'000/ 4.9ms/ 4MB

or anything u recommend and is cheap..

i mean will u320 or wide ultra scsi 3 or lvd work in my array? (i dont care about the speed)

thank you for ur answer
mario

Should both work but obviously only at maximum speed of controller.

The SA2xx series are fast/wide if I recall correctly. SA3200 support Ultra, again from memory.

Those drives will not be supported by Compaq diags and Insight Manager however.

Neill

thank your for your answer ntinlin

then how can i know which scsi hds wont work with my array cases?
or will all 1' scsi hds work?

You can probably pick up proper Compaq 36Gb HDD's on eBay easily enough. Don't think they ever did 72Gb drives for the older models though.

Most 1" SCA drives should work but you aren't going to necessarily know that there is a problem with the array unless you use Compaq drives which the server can manage properly.

Are the current drives in black or maroon caddies? i.e. Are the fronts black with metal heatsinks or beige with maroon clips.?

If they are black then you should be able to pick up 72Gb or 146Gb Compaq drives quite easily.

I think all the 1600's took beige drives but might be wrong in that.

The drive type depended chiefly on the CPU type, anything after the 400Mhz takes the black drives, although you can swap the cages around and that works, although you then have a non-standard server, which could cause problems with support

thx for all answers..
my compaq original caddies are maroon and the whole thing is beige/white..

am i right when i pick on ebay or whatever an 36gb disk with:

- Universal
- Hot-Pluggable
- Wide Ultra3 SCSI Interface
- SCA, 80 Pin
- 10K, 1.0"

and it must be a Compaq HD?

Doesn't have to be Compaq as I said above but if it isn't you won't get the Compaq diags or pre-failure notifications to work.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back