Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proliant 1200 series server not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2007
US
I have an older server that I'm using for testing purposes. It's a Compaq Proliant 1200. We recently moved and when I set it back up at our new location I can't get it to boot. It won't even attempt to start up (LED's never turn on). I think it could be the power supply or toggle switch but it's hard for me to believe that they just went bad over night. It's running windows 2003 server, 2 hard drives, about 512 RAM.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,

Some of the older Proliant models have a dip switch on the case so that the server will not power up unless the case lid is seated correctly. Have you ensured the case lid is seated correctly?

Also check that the components are seated correctly (processor, memory, any loose cables in the box, etc..)

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

I reseeded the RAM, Processor, and every cable that I could find but still nothing, I also have the lid, side, and door all on correctly. When I hit the power button the fan on the power supply won't even spin. Any other ideas?

thanks in advance,

Is there any lights on the PSU that should light up or any on the server/motherboard itself? I cannot remember the Proliant 1200 very well...

I would try another power lead as well, you never know it hopefully may be a blown fuse rather than any server fault.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

I tried a separate power cable and power outlet. Their are no led's on the motherboard to my knowledge but if their are none of them are on

Measure the output of the power supply with a meter while it is plugged in, on the DC side. If you get nothing, then the bridge rectifier is probably fried, or a fuse. I am not sure on that model,so I will look to see if we have one, or I will look in OARS.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back