Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prolaint 3000 first start

Status
Not open for further replies.

espressokid

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
CA
Hi all,
I just acquired a Proliant 3000 server from a business. When I start it up it goes through the normal startup procedure (checking processor,drives ect) after its all done that, it stops at the Copyright screen for 3com and then restarts itself and does it all over again.. I have not had much experience with the Compaq series or the DR DOS-7 OS..I would like to stick Windows XP Pro on there.Anyone have any advice?

Get hold of a copy of SmartStart, if you look through previous posts you'll find a website or two that you can download it from.

It won't be any use to load XP since that isn't supported on the ProLiants as such but it will allow you to run diags, set up RAID etc.

Somebody else here has run XP successfully on a 3000 though and the OS apparently has drivers for all the std. ProLiant hardware.

Neill

Thanks Neill! i thought no one would reply.

I'm downloading SmartStart 5.5 as we speak

Thanks again

i've run into a problem

i have extracted all the files in the ISO onto a CD-RW, i followed the instruction in the manual on how to run SmartStart..but it just won't work

I turn the server on, put the disk in, reboot the server and wait for the "Press "F10" key for System Partition Utilities" but it doesn;t come up it just goes straight to the CPU and RAM count..grr this is frustrating! anyone?!

you wont get the f10 message if there isnt a system partition on the drives.

remove that 3COM NIC and see what happens. I would suggest doing a system erase and starting from scratch.

- LC

actually i have found out that The CDRom was borked so i switched them and now i get the F10..but now it asks me to insert the System Configuration Diskette...

Where can i get the info for this diskette they speak of

actually..i have the partition in place right now..

But now how do i install an OS? I have the OS on CD not Diskette!

If you run SmartStart to configure the arrays you should then be able to boot from the OS cd and install.

..what if smartstart doesn't run when i put the disk in...

I just resently bought a Compaq ProLiant 3000, tricky lil server.
I downloaded the current files for it at the hp.com site (Compaq SmartStart v7.2)
it takes the most current version to install windows 2003 or 2000... i believe that 2000 had problems installing with version 5.5.
I hope that after i download the last firmware updates that it starts like a breeze rather than takes 10mins to get past the post screen.
Hope this helps ya... and if Ive got problems I hope you can help me. :D

7.2 won't run on a 3000 AFAIK. You can put the 7.2 agents onto a 3000 of course but don't think you'd be able to use SS7.20 to build a 3000.

Course if you can please let me know. :)

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back