Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project task duration / end date (simple question!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomrps

Technical User
Feb 14, 2013
GB
Hello, I have a (hopefully) quick question, best illustrated with the attached screenshot.

I'm not sure what's going wrong. Is Project trying to be too clever, perhaps trying to spread three months' work over a greater amount of time because it's not counting weekends or something like that? I'm using the default calendar. Switching to 24-hr calendar (for example) gives even sillier dates.

Can anyone help? How do I convince Project that a month is only a month long!?

Thanks in advance

What is your definition of "month" in File > Options, Schedule? What is your working day definition? Are you using the default Standard calendar with 8 working hours per day?

Are these manually scheduled tasks?

I found the solution - apparently Project has both "months" and "emonths" and it's the latter that are actually a month long. Bizarre, but at least it was a simple fix.

You haven't really solved the initial problem and may have created a potential issue down the road. An "emonth" to Project is 30 calendar days - counting weekends - which is normally non-working time. Each of the 30 days is 24 hours - not the usual 8 hours. So, if you assign a single resource to a 1 emonth task the resource will be scheduled for 24 hours of work for the next 30 days. Your work and cost estimates will be wildly off.

Julie

Yep, that's fine. This will never be used - it's just to create a graphic - Project is a wholly inappropriate tool but I don't get a say in that!

Thanks for your tips in any case though.

You're welcome. Hard to say whether Project is inappropriate without knowing more about what you need. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back