Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project Server 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelleyL

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
US
Does any one have any advice for a Project Server 2002 implementation? We are looking at Project Server at work and I would be interested to know what I am getting myself into. Thank you.

KellyL,
Did you ever find any good information on implementing Project Server 2002??? Also, I am wondering if you could shine some light on a couple of things. I need to implement a Project solution that would allow 13 users to share/create/modify prjects. From what I am finding, I either have to put Project Server on the server and share it using Project Professional (1 Project Server, 13 Project Professionals) or put Project Server on the server, purchase 13 CALs and then share Project Server through our Intranet. Is there anything I am missing.

Thanks!!!

we are in the middle of this

users with just cals are very limited in what they can do. It looks like it is just for reporting back status. Anyone making real changes has to have project itself installed locally.

So using the CALs to access Project Server through the Internet limits the ability to create and modify projects??? I was not aware of that. If that's the case, then it makes the decision pretty easy, to share multiple projects, I need Project Server and Project Server Pro for all users. Am I getting everything correct??

Thanks!

MSP 2002 is an Enterprise tool. The way Microsoft has positioned the MSP 2002 group of products addresses the collaborative need that they did not previously meet. Besides an interface for project related issues and documents, there's not much new for the manager of a single, small project.

The real power of this tool is it's power to communicate with those who's job is not primarily creating project schedules - resources and management level stakeholders, and in portfolio management/analysis. They only need a CAL to use Web Access which is a lot cheaper than the desktop client. This enterprise release provides tons of functionality via Web Access that is not available with the desktop client alone.

As far as your original question, it's highly recommended that you use at least one dedicated server. Project Server can be extensively customized. There are continuing administrative functions and if you have more than a couple of dozen users, all of this can become several hours (or more) per day.

There is extensive information available from Microsoft at > Project 2002 > Deploy. Look at the Enterprise Implementation Framework docs for a start. They also have a series of training documents (1,500 pages) at

This is a question for Jeremy - how did it work out having users with just CALs - what were the limitations - did you have to upgrade any of the users to having project locally?
Many thanks
lynne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back