Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdavid

MIS
Sep 17, 2001
US
We have an access database managing client information and certain forms for those customers. My boss wants me to add in project management into the database. He wants to track resources (such as staff, board rooms) of the current projects. He also wants to have history of each of the client and what work was done and by whom. Has anyone done this and can access on its own do this. If not any suggestions.

Thanks

gdavid

Yes, Access was designed for these types of projects. Yes, I and other Tek-Tip Techies have done this sort of thing before.

If you have a tight deadline for this, I recommend hiring someone with the experience. If you do not have Access skills, programming it can be one BIG headache.

First, I would begin by looking for existing software on the market that matches your product requirements. The concept of developing an application, even a small one in Access, is going to be expensive.

Gary
gwinn7

Gary,

Do you have any suggestions on the type of software. We need something that will allow us to customize our own input screens.

Thanks

gdavid

Unfortunately, to my immediate recollection, no. I would attempt doing Internet searches, perhaps look into how Microsoft Project can help, and maybe re-ask your question (rephrased looking for existing software) in a couple of different forums and news groups related to project management or software development.

You could look for a VB/VBA consultant that knows how to communicate, properly analyze your product requirements, and produce the product you are looking for with financial incentives if the product is completed before a specific deadline.

Gary
gwinn7

Take a look at the sample "Resource Scheduling" database that came with Access. Create a new database in Access. In the New dialog, select the databases tab. Click on the datbase you want to create - in this case, "Resource Scheduling". The wizard will create the database on your hard drive.

If the sample databses are not available, you will need to load them from the installation CD or other setup location. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back