Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

project generation error (Link Error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmguy

Programmer
Aug 28, 2002
US
I tried to make an executable file for my powerbuilder application after regenerate. The regenaration step was done and fine. When I try to build the project (exe file), I am getting link errors - the message said - 'Codegen compilation error, See file C:\Temp\Sumbill.log'. When I open the file Sumbill.log,
it show this:

CGEN: Compiling 'C:\TEMP\sumbill.c'
CGEN: Linking...

Since this message doesn't mean much I am having hardtime how to fix my application.
The powerbuilder I am using is version 6.5 and the OS is Window NT.

If you had any of this problem before and solved it please let me know.

Thanks.

Thanks pgmguy

i have the same prob overhere. But the funny point is that this file does not exist on my system. I mean the location of the "log"-file powerbuilder gives me. In the meantime powerbuilder creats an obj file (somewhere!).

Can someone help me out with it

got it damn. The windows-shell tmp file was not existing anymore!

KKCS

Hi,

I am getting an error "CGEN:Failed to Find *.obj file, see log file for detail.", while building exe (DLL-machine code) from a windows 2000 machine.

I never had any problem in Windows NT.
I am using powerbuilder 8.0.

The log file tells the list of .obj files with name it is looking in the directory "Document And Setting\Administrator.User\LocalSettings\Temp" and couldn't find the file.

It has created a couple of *.c files corresponding to a pbl file.Looks like it fails to create obj files from the *.c files.

Does anyone know why it is doing like this ?
Only thing left to try is re-installing powerbuilder.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Joe

I had this exact problem.

The problem is that PowerBuilder uses the TEMP and TMP directories to load temporary files. It cannot handle the path:
"C:\Documents and Settings\john.smith\My Documents\. . ."
So just change the path for these directories to something simple like "C:\TEMP".

This is how you fix it in Windows XP Professional:
(The solution is similar in all operating systems.)

Under Control Panel | System | Advanced tab

Click on the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom of the tab. You are going to change the value for the temp variables in 4 places.

At the top, under "User Variables for user john.smith":

Click on the "TEMP" variable and change the value to "C:\TEMP". You do this by clicking the EDIT button.
Do the same for the "TMP" variable.

Next, under "System variables", change the values of the "TEMP" variable and the "TMP" variable to "C:\TEMP".

Make sure you have a "C:\TEMP" directory. You may need to reboot.

Done.

Hi,

Have a look at the PB7 compile problem thread and this may help.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back