Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimgarry

MIS
May 16, 2000
Is there any way of printing report documentation of a crystal report? Such as tables, sql statements, Fields used. Just all the neat little things that should go in a documentation file. Thanks
Jim Garry

Sure, you can export your report to "Report Definition" format.

This will show you all kinds of detail and it lists it in the order it appears in the report.

The resulting file is a text file you can easily open and print.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

I've exported to Report Definition.

Is there a way to get detail such at font size, page margins, etc displayed in a definition file.

Are there any good examples of generating a report specification.(i.e. like a definition of what all reports should be modeled after.) I am using a template I created, but I'd like to document the margins and page header height, etc.

Thanks,
Tom

Another trick I have metioned here before is to create a "documentation Formula"

This is a formula that you place in the page footer of your report in an out-of-the-way place. Highlight it in RED conditionally and suppress it entirely so it isn't seen

ie. make the background red but in the conditional background use

if 1 = 1 then crNoColor else crRed;

This keeps the background red in design mode

So what is this formula for??? Well it will be used to document all the changes made to the report as time goes on. It is amazing how you forget who made a particular change or how it was done after just a few months..especially if many people can make changes.

Your formula would look like this:

//@Documentation

// Date: Aug 25/2003 Developer: John D.
// Remarks: Initial creation of Report based on client Specification - MajorProject.doc
//
// Date: Aug 30/2003 Developer: John D.
// Remarks: revised as per client: Mr. Picky
// Enhanced the fonts in Group2 headers

// Date: Aug 31/2003 Developer: Jane K.
// Remarks: revised as per client: Mr. Picky
// Added additional group 1 information on....

You get the idea....the beuaty of this is that since everything is REM statements it doesn't affect the speed or operation of the report and it STAYS With the report.

I found this to be quite useful...you can make it as big as you want too...

Jim Broadbent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back