Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project Calendar/Resource Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenC28

Technical User
Jul 18, 2013
US
Hi,

I'm new to MS Project (using MS Project 2010) and am working on a schedule where some of my tasks are on a 20 hr/day schedule (construction) and others are on a 8 hr/day schedule. I've tried making task and/or resource calendar changes, but from what I can tell I'm restricted in my durations to however many hours/day are in my project calendar.

For example: My project calendar says the default day is 8am-5pm, 9 hrs in a day (assume no breaks). Task 1 is a 20 hr/day task. If I set a task calendar to show working times of 20 hrs, and put in a duration of 1 day for this task, it cuts my task off at 9 hrs. If I set my project calendar to 20 hrs/day in a typical day, Task 2 (8 hr task) is now 0.45 days to begin at 8am and end at 5pm.

Is there a way around this, so that I can calculate '1 day' based on the task calendar as opposed to the project calendar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can have multiple calendars. One per resource if you want. I would first establish your standard calendar, then make copies of that as needed for each resource.

====================================
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Yes - I do have multiple calendars - that's what I'm working inside. My calendars don't seem to overwrite the duration of the project calendar. I.e. if my 'new' calendar is 12 hour days, 1 'day' still shows up as whatever is set in my project calendar. (Default is 8 hrs)

Hi JenC28,

Is there a way around this, so that I can calculate '1 day' based on the task calendar as opposed to the project calendar?

No, sorry. The definition of a "day" is define in options. If you are using a project calendar with a 9 hour working day, you need to change the definition of "day" and "week". As you have such a mixture, I'd suggest using hours to define your tasks.

I also have to ask about the 20 hour days. Do you have multiple shifts? If so, consider creating two ten hour shift calendars and assign them as base calendars to your resources. No need to "create" resource calendars - they are created for you when you create the resource.

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your response. I had decided to put it in hours, but was asked to ensure there was no way around that! Our '20' hour shift is contracted work. The schedule I am creating is not intended to break that into resourcing shifts, we just need a start and end time for their work, basically.

Thanks for your help!
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back