Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project 2003: linked fields - dates no longer calculating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjones1234

Technical User
Sep 20, 2006
US
I've been using MS Project 2003 for several months. Pretty basic usage - linked tasks, general ghantt chart.

All of a sudden, as of just now, when I change the date for a task, none of the dates in the linked tasks change.

Is there a setting or something else that I have inadvertantly changed? I am using duration, start, and finish fields. The link is FS with 0 lag time.

Please help ASAP. Thanks!

Additionally, my linked tasks are no longer rolling up to my summary task.

Thanks!

Tools | Options | Calculation-tab and look at the calculation mode settings

MS Project fails to update date fields.

This is with an existing projects with there are no fixed dates.

I've noticed this in 2 circumstances:
First when entering %cent complete. This does not change any dates.
Second when changing the date of a task that was due prior to "now" but which is being rescheduled for a few days from "now". Again in some unknown circumstances, Project does not reschedule dependent future tasks.
We've checked dependencies and there are no other fixed dates.

Has anyone seen these problems and does anyone know of a solution.

Why would changing %Complete change the dates? %Complete is the % of time that has elapsed between the Start and Finish dates.

As for your second problem, if it's happening in unknown circumstance then, by definition, the solution is unknown.

Thank you for your reponses.

This situation is not occuring by changeing the percent complete - it is happending by changing the task date to several days before the initial date.

FYI - I uninstalled project 2003 and reinstalled it and attempted to clear the registry entries to ensure a clean install. The problem still occurred.

I have temporarily fixed the problem by installing MS Project 2000 which works fine for my purposes, but is a poor solution to the problem.

If anyone comes up with a fix, please post it.

Thanks in advance!

gjones1234: the answer about %Complete is not in reply to your question. The answer to your original question was posted two weeks earlier and is near the top of this thread.

(areddy has somewhat muddied the waters by asking a question about a different topic instead of starting a new thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back