Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project 2000 - split task problem(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jancebk

MIS
Jan 13, 2003
US
I am using Project 2000, however I have had this situation occur in earlier versions of product...

1. The task splits itself on the Gantt chart; I try to drag it back to rejoin the original section of the task and it won't budge. Constraint is set to ASAP. No changes to the calendar or working time that should prevent the task from being able to be worked those days. The split is approximately 2 weeks... I have actual work posted on Mon & Tues of the beginning of the task, and then it jumps 2 weeks into the future for the remaining work. Any ideas how to get the work back into the original week?

2. This is related to problem #1. In the Resource Usage view, I cleared the remaining work "out in the future" of that task. I then, on Wednesday of the week I really want the work to appear, I entered 2 hours into Work. That 2 hours immediately jumped 2 weeks into the future... and split into 1.25 hours on Monday & .75 on Tuesday! Again, I have normal 8 hour days set up, with no modifications to the calendar.

Has anyone experienced this before? How do you go about fixing it? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thank you!
Janice

I can only assume Project is performing some kind of levelling because the resource is already used elsewhere. If this is the case it can be a good idea to put your resources in a text column and leave the resources empty until you can come back to it.

Hi Janice,

Are you using an enterprise resource ?
If that is the case, it will be as what cosmicchris as said your resource are being used elsewhere.

Good luck :-D

Hi Janice
Your question is from March but we have a similar problem. First Project automatically converts things to milestones (duration = 0 but Start/Finish Dates OK). Then it splits the task. To test, we cleared out all resources, and actual data (Edit, Clear, All for Actual Start, Finish, % completed, Resource Name). Didn't seem to help.
Next thought it had to do with automatically splitting in progress tasks (see options, scheduling), but setting this back after the fact doesn't work.
Also cannot create the problem with a new file!

Did anything work for you?

DanKobb:

Never did find a real solution to the splits that were happening. It was occurring on a couple of tasks for which actual hours were being posted via MS Outlook.

I abandoned using MS Outlook for collecting & posting my resources actual hours; the email form was too cumbersome, only a few tasks would display at one time. Any given week my resources have 8 - 15 tasks they work on, and using the email form through Outlook was a mess. Resorted to paper collection of hours. Since that time, I've manually posted the hours to my project plan and don't have that weird splitting when I don't want it to occur.

Hope you find a solution to your problem!

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back