Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prohibit user drive mapping and network browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo2k

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
Greetings everyone. I have a 2003 domain controller with approximatelly 45 users. Everytime a new user is created they seems able to browse the network and map to any shares. What should I be looking to fix this issue?

I need to disable network browsing and or require admin privilages to map to a network drive.

Thank you all for your help,

Theo

If you've not already got some (departmental) security groups, create them (in the 'Active Directory Users And Computers' tool) and make user accounts members of those groups as appropriate.

On the server that hosts those shared folders you mentioned, right-click on each shared folder and choose 'Sharing and Security'.

Remove the groups that are currently giving everybody access (most likely to be 'Domain users' and 'Everyone') and add in the appropriate security group for each shared folder with Write control (or whatever's appropriate).

Make sure the users log off for these new security group memberships to take effect.

Ensure new accounts are added to the required groups.

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, or photo, or breakfast...and so on)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back