Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prohibit internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenodorf

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
Hi

With a network Workstations running connected to SBS server 2003 network, using broadband via a switch is there an easy way to prohibit users from accessing the Internet?

The clients email comes in via the sbs exchange server

though about allocating a fixed IP and then not filling in the default gateway but is this a viable method?

thanks

Ian

You should be able to block their IP's so that they cannot access the internet. I have seen this done at my last job with our Windows 2003 server. We simply found the IP of all the computers we wanted to block, and then somehow we were able to enter it into the server to block their internet access. I will look this up and post the details on just how to do this.

-surgeVel

How are the IP's assigned? If there is a DHCP, you could potentially set it so it doesn't give out a gateway, you could also if you have a router, set that to block internet for certain IP's. Depending on how many machines there are, changing IP's to static may or may not be viable.

You would not want to have to go to 100 machines and change settings manually.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Well, if you want all users without Internet access, just don't setup any proxy at all.

Cheers,
Dian

A couple of ways, certainly.

1) From the router (best method), using static IP's, and don't route that range out to the Internet.
2) From the PC
a) Do not put in a gateway
b) Set up a proxy, but point it to 127.0.0.1 instead of a real address
c) Use a third-party program, such as CyberSitter, which can be set up to "no access"
d) Use a different protocol other than TCP/IP for your internal network, and take TCP/IP off of the PC's you don't wish to have Internet.
e) Install Norton Internet Security. You don't even have to do anything with it; within a week, it will crap your internet connections ;-)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Disable Internet Access

Can LOCK down be achieved through registry?
thread779-1269030

Disallow Internet Access
thread779-1048463

Restriciting users to a particular website
thread779-1439324

Help with Disabling user internet access on home pc
thread779-714122

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back