Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progression 7.6.300 error msg "Shortcut no longer matches menu"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulieB313

Technical User
Dec 19, 2006
US
Our company upgraded to 7.6.3 in April, in September we upgrade to SQL server from Pervasive SQL. After the SQL upgrade, three users only are experiencing an error message when they use a Progression shortcut: "This ShortCut no longer matches your menu. Delete it and recreate it." Click "OK", and the following message: "An error occured in MacMSL.dll (ver.76.300.10.5) DB Provider Error: Native Error number: 11 Error number: 0x80004005 [DBNETLIB] [ConnectionWrite (WrapperWrite()).] General network error. Check your network documentation. COM Error: Error Code =0x80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified error Source = Microsoft OLE EB Provider for SQL Server Description = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionWrite (WrapperWrite()).]General network error. Check your network documentation. Op: f6,fhREadRandom Table or Script:[MACOLA].[SCREENS].[DBO].[SYSPASS_SQL]MSLER000----g-1" Not sure how significant this may be, but it occurs intermittently, and always late in the day (from around 3:00p.m. on). Since we also use UPS WorldShip with the ShipGear bridge to the Progression database, and ShopWatch that bridges employee time to the Progression database, we experimented to see if we could recreate the error while UPS "end of day" was running or while employees were clocking out of jobs to see if they were presenting some conflicts. However, the error occured even while nothing else was going on.

We have tried, without success: Deleting and recreating the shortcut.
Our network consultant verified that all the MDAC components were registered and installed correctly on the users' pcs.
I initialized all the report passing files in MCA and SF, since the users experiencing the errors are experiencing them in Multiple Level Item View (Shop Floor) and MRP Regen.

I am now at the point where my network consultant is pretty sure it's a Macola Progression issue, and my Progression consultant is pretty sure it's a Microsoft management issue, so I'm interested in any input or suggestions for a new direction.

Sorry for the length of this, I tried not to leave anything out! Thanks for reading this far! Julie B.

Under the visual menu builder does that user still have access to the particular menu item(s) in question?

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Yes, I double checked, they all do.
The message is intermittent, for example, the day our network consultant verified that all the MDAC components were up-to-date, the message appeared on the Shop Floor Manager's pc at around 3:00 (when accessing Multiple Level Item View), as usual. For a number of days after that (about a week), no message, then he got the message again yesterday. The Manufacturing Manager runs the Regen late in the day, and gets the message more consistently. The Inventory Manager gets the message very rarely, but also in Multiple Level Item View.

It is a network problem not an mdac error.

This take from Macolas infomine in reference to error 11 and 17, I have seen these before and they are indicative not of mdac but of network issues.

Both of these messages are indicative of a problem with the TCP/IP connection to the server. The dynamic link library mentioned in the error, DBNETLIB, is the dll for TCP/IP. The workaround for this error is to remove any alias that may have been setup on the Alias tab of the Client Network Utility (Start\Programs\Microsoft SQL Server\Client Network Utility). Once the alias has been removed, switch to the General tab of the Client Network Utility and disable TCP/IP and enable Named Pipes. It is very important that Named Pipes be enabled in the Server Network Utility, which can be found at Start\Programs\Microsoft SQL Server\Server Network Utility ON THE SERVER. If it is not enabled on the server, the client will not be able to connect at all.

Now I do not recommend their fix right away but I would look at the dns for the server and the dns resolution of the workstations. When the error occurs next try and ping the sql server by both IP and by name. If the name fails and the IP works you have dns resolution problems. The intermitancy of the problem indicates to me either a bad net cable, bad switch port, or bad nic.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Are you using PWE or the Progression SQL Client to get into Macola. For PWE, the shortcuts are stored in the PWE database. For Macola32, they are stored in the registry on the local computer.

Do you get the same issues for a different Macola user logging into the same computer. Does it work when running it from the menu list vs. running it from the shortcut.

Kevin Scheeler

I tried to recreate the error yesterday but couldn't; fortunately, it decided to be intermittent again today, but a little different. I also got this further description from the user: Every morning, he opens Progression and then Multiple Level Item View (from the Progression shortcut)and keeps MLIView open all day, sometimes minimizing it to the tray. Usually he gets the message between 2:45 and 3:15, when he tries to use MLIView again. The error msg comes up first, then the "shortcut etc" message. He closes out of Progression and gets back in and all is fine.

I checked Client Network Utility on his machine, he has no aliases set up, and Named Pipes is the only connection enabled. When he got the error today from the shortcut I tried to get in through the menu, also got the error. Although today he got the message a little earlier, and instead of getting back into MLIView he was attempting to open Modify Shop Orders. (In the MSLerror details, instead of 'error 11' it was 'error 0')

If I hadn't gotten the error on two other pc's as well, I would have suspected the hardware (cable, switch, card); I'll check them out anyway. It's starting to make sense to me that the issue might be with the CPU's themselves; unlikely that all three would be flukey, but certainly nothing's impossible.

Anyway, thanks for all the insight!

I get this sometimes, seems like it is OE and IM, but it still opens and I still work and have been doing this at least a year, no problems.

Thanks dmrVA, that's interesting to know. All three users that get this error report that getting out and back into Progression resolves the issue; but that it happens with such frequency as to be annoying.

My Macola consultant has offered to pursue this again with Macola, so that will be my next step.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back