Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progress bars for opening big forms - HOW?! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWalls

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
GB
I have a form with several pictures on it which takes a while to load up. How can i make a progress bar pop up so that the user doesn't think the database has crashed or something? Also, do they disappear automatically or do i need to tell it to? Thanks for your time,

Rob.

Rob,
I had a similar issue and would like to know how to create a progress bar as well. What I did in the mean time was to create a small modal form which informs the user that the process may take a few minutes. Then either by using the timer event or the on open property the form can be closed.
And if pictures are the issue with speed, you may want to check their resolution. If they are just for display on the monitor, a resolution of 72 dpi should be plenty and can save considerable amounts of memory if they are 300 dpi or higher. Doing this you may not need the progress bar.

Hope it helps,
/\/\arkxG

Use the Timer for your form (see Timer in Access Help). Let the timer increment itself and use that as the source to update your progress bar. You'll need to experiment with the timer interval value to determine what makes your Bar look the way you want it to. You will also need to tell the Bar when to disappear through code. The process will need a Private variable in the General Declarations section of your form to control the Bar also. "Databases That Work The Way You Do!"

Thanks, i'll try those two out tomorrow. The resolution thing sounds like it could be useful in other bits of my database - how do you change the resolution?! Sorry if i sound like a retard, but i don't work with pictures much.
Thanks again,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back