Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progress Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacsac

Programmer
Dec 10, 2000
GB
A small but niggling situation which I cannot resolve is why the Progress Bar Style 'Blocks' simply does not work. The 'Continuous' and 'Marquee' setting are fine, but whatever I try, the 'Blocks' style simply appears the same as 'Continuous'. Any ideas?

Are the ForeColor and BackColor different? Other than that I'm not sure. Are you using the basic .Net Progress Bar or are using some user created/ActiveX control?

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

I'm using the standard Progress Bar. It's nothing to do with the colors, as I see the 'progress' quite clearly. It's just that it in the 'Continuous' style, rather than the 'Blocks' style as set.

I'm not 100% (I haven't checked it in a while), but I think that has to do with HOW the progress bar is displayed. With 'Continuous' the progress bar slowly fills up, allowing partial blocks. With 'Blocks' the progress bar fills up in chunks - one block at a time. If I'm right anyway.

Still haven't got this worked out fully!

The opposite is happening to me. No matter what, contrinuous or blocks, i get blocks. The marquee works fine.

vb.net 2005

I am developing on Windows7. However, I have now just discovered that although I only get 'Continuous', if deployed on an XP machine using XP Themes then all I get is 'Blocks'. Even more confusing!

Thanks Borvik - that link explains things pretty well!

Now, I have discovered more...
If I turn OFF "Enable XP Visual Styles" in the Project|Application properties, then the 'Blocks' appear when using ProgressBarStyle.Block, and the bar is smooth when using ProgressBarStyle.Continuous. However, the ProgressBarStyle.Marquee setting then does not work! So it seems that I can either have Blocks & Continuous OR Marquee and Continous, but not all three??? Surely this is not right.

You can always build your own progress bar if it is becoming that much of a hassle. I had to because of the type of bars I wanted.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back