Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progress Bar for a Delete Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwn

Technical User
Dec 14, 2002
US
Is it possible to have a progress bar show the status of a delete query for duplicates? Then the user will know when the delete action is complete.

My delete query is:
sSQL = "DELETE [Lab Table].TDate, [Lab Table].ID, * FROM [Lab Table] WHERE ((([Lab Table].TDate) Between Date()-20 And Date()) AND (([Lab Table].ID) Not In (SELECT Min(ID) as MinID FROM [Lab Table] WHERE ([Lab Table].TDate Between Date()-20 And Date()) GROUP BY [Lab Table].LotNumber)));

Seems unlikely. Your VB code doesn't run the DELETE statement ... the DBMS does and it doesn't return any status information until it's done. Guess you could start a timer and use it to increment a progress bar until you get control back from the statement that submitted the database DELETE.

[small]No! No! You're not thinking ... you're only being logical.
- Neils Bohr[/small]

Are you aware of any smamples, that I could look at for an idea of how to do that. Thank you!!

You could use a process bar. I know there is a sample here someplace, but I couldn't find it. Basicly you can use a status bar and 2 gradiants moving back and forth to give you the old Netscape/Knight Rider style process bar. similar to this:
Process.bmp

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Or you could simply do
1) select command instead of a delete - results to datatable
2) scan through the table and do a delete on the primary key of each record in your table. This way you know how many records are to be deleted. Also I would wrap the whole series of deletes in a transaction loop

Sweep
...if it works, you know the rest..
Always remember that Google is your friend

curse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back