Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Progress and Crystal Reports 9.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelseatech

Instructor
Aug 25, 2001
NZ
We are using Progress version 9.1b and the Merant 3.6 Odbc drivers. Our Cr8.5 reports are working fine, but if we try to upgrade them to Crystal Rreports 9.0 they no longer can see the database.

If we try a CR9 report against the Db, no tables are listed, so we can't see any data.

Anyone out there successful run CR9 against Progress 1b?

Regards

Bruce Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Hi Bruce - this won't make you happy but....

I live in Vancouver and lots of my friends work at Crystal. We asked about Progress and Crystal 9 and I got a firm and resounding "oh my god no!" from a my tech support friends.

9 is much more problematic than any of their other releases.

We, too, have installed CR9 and experienced the same problem with Progress. CR just doesn't 'see' the tables in the database. I have been going back and forth with Crystal support staff for months about this. They have been very courteous, but have basically left it at this:
You are not a big enough customer to warrant us fixing this bug.

I went to my driver dealer (DataDirect) and through testing we have confirmed the driver works with other apps without problems. I have tested on different os's, with different versions of the driver (3.6 and 4.0) and all with the same results.

Oh, and we were running Progress 8.1 when we first got CR9, and had the same problem so it is not just a Progress v9 issue. There is defenitely a problem with CR9 and there don't seem to be enough Progress users to warrant their attention toward this issue.

I've tried Tech Support and got a similar response.

They tell me they are currently testing a solution. So hope to have good news soon.

I was able to tell them how many users of this Progress App were affected and calculated an impressive number for the world wide upgrade sales they would miss out on. Seem to encourage them to work on a solution.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Add us to the list. We are using CR7 against Progress 91.b and were planning on migrating to CR 9. The above sounds less than encouraging. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Ealier this week, Crystal tech support asked me for more info on the driver we use (DataDirect) and told me that they were looking at this issue more closely.
They had asked me to make a 'business case' for why they should fix the bug, but we are not what Crystal would consider a big account so I can only hope they will solve this soon. I haven't heard from them in several days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back