Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programs will not run unless logged in as administrator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricknaj

Technical User
Apr 9, 2003
US
I am in a network environment that is designed to be used in an educational setting. The users are youths, we do not want the users installing programs...in fact we don't want them making any system changes. we have several programs that will only run in administrative mode. is there some "magic" setting that anyone knows of that can allow the program to run...while still restricting the users from making wide sweeping changes to the systems?

Explain this, how are you installing the program? How do your users then access the program? Shortcut on the desktop? Through program manager? Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

we have tried installing the programs as a power user, as a regular user, as administrator. did not install as regular user. would install as power user but not run. will run under administrative. we have attempted to launch programs by shortcuts on the desktop as well as through program manager (assuming program manager...is process of clicking start button...then select programs). I know these programs are not specifically designed for windows 2000...but I don't understand why they will run under adminsitrative but not under any other modes. I have also set the user accounts to administrative level...installed program...then reset level to power user and it would not run. thanks for responding....any help you can provide would be great!

On the security tab of the application you want to run (shortcut or otherwise), which accounts are listed?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

the security tab has the following users listed

administrator, everyone and system.
I thought maybe you were heading towards the direction the individual user ID should be added...so I went ahead and added it also...tested it...still comes up with run time error.

Yea, thats where I was going....Everyone has Full Control? I have a program that needs to be setup like that. You mentioned run time error. What is the exact error?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Try loggin in under the users name other than admin. Try installing the application under their profiles, you should be prompted for an admin password at this point. See if this works for you. If it doesn't resolve your issue, you may want to log in under admin, take a look at the local security policy settings. You get there by going to my computer, control panel, administrative tools, then local security policy settings. I would check the local policies, under user rights. There may be a rule set there to disable users from being able to launch these apps.

Hope this helps.

You might have to modify permissions on folders that the app runs in for users other then ones with admin priv's

the box is a microsoft visual c++ run time library box
it just says runtime error..list the program path and executable and then below all this it says abnormal program termination.

Some Legacy programs manipulate what win2K considers priveleged system files and will only be allowed to do that while logged in with administrative priveleges.

I would try going to the first folder in that path and give what ever is the common group your putting users in full control or everything but full control. Let that propogate down and try running the program.

DonTech had a good point, so possibly grant Full control to the WINNT folder for everyone.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

One thing I have found to be helpful is in the local security policy. You install with elevated privilages then allow users to browse with elevated privligaes. If you would like more specific I could post here.

Rook

I have similar problems with numerous Apps, I get around most of these by

1. Running Regedt32 and giving users full control of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software

2. Giving users modify control of
C:\WINNT
C:\PROGRAM FILES

If these don't help i have actually had to, even for pretty new software edited the 5 hives of the registry as with point 1 and also given modify permissions to c:
You can lock most things down using policies and the above doesn't seem to expose and system tools being run etc.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for their help! Cdove...I ended up with a modified verion of your suggestion to work best for me. I gave the user full access to only that program in the registry as well as giving the user modify rights to that program's folder in the program manager.

thanks again everybody!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back