Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programs open in notepad by default 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

laker67

Programmer
Jan 18, 2004
US
most of the programs i try to open on my machine open with notepad . This happened after i accidently opened a file with notepad . I wanted to do system restore back but when i go to system tools->system restore , that program also opens in notepad Garbage.
Also When i reboot the computer i get 19 programs opened in notepad on the desktop including-tptray, apoint, ceekey, ypager etc . i also tried to open command prompt by cmd and it also opens in notepad . Can any one tell me how to restore all the programs to open with their default "open with" rather than notepad . Any thoughts appreciated .

No "Open with..." option on a right-click means that the context handlers are still not right.

Look earlier for the Doug Knox site "EXE" registry repair.

See also:
If the virus is still running, you will never beat this thing.

Please try several av-scans from manarth's faq: faq760-3862

Not every scan catches every thing. Your friend at the moment is Task Manager. There should not be notepad.exe running, or anything that looks 'Odd'.

An updated antivirul scanner should catch this.

linney, laker67,

I have never been exactly in this position where a trojan/virus/malware has removed the EXE handling, and the context Menu handling.

My thoughts:

. You can "force" XP to show a context menu for 'known' files. This would include EXE files. So, in that circumstance, a right-click to associate Explore.exe should work to re-write the Association entries.

Kelly Theriot adds this note: "Open With - Not Working or Listed"

Check your settings here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications. Select the associated sub-key, if 'NoOpenWith' is listed, delete it.

This setting allows you to control whether the checkbox to save the "Open With" program is available when an unknown file type is opened.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command

To enable the checkbox set the (Default) value to "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1".
Return to the desktop and press F5 for the change to take effect.

Added note:

Notepad will be used to open the files by default if no association already exists.

. I am concerned that the regedit direct entries suggested above by member linney and myself do not resolve the issue. This strikes me as a running virus, that Task Manager should be able to deal with. (If you know the rogue Task)

. Approaching a repair in this cirumstance is a job for Safe Mode. The system does not process RUN keys in the registry in this mode.

***** end quoted section from Kelly

An in-place repair reinstall may be the best way to handle this problem:

I did re-create a new file extension exe type and re-associated with Application . This made all the exe's work . So the problem seem to be partialy resolved . I'm going to do all the virus scan's mentioned by bcastner . Thanks bcastner/linney .

Now you have a good opportunity to clean the beast from your machine.

Please make sure you run a decent online antiviur scan from shah's FAQ faq760-39862

There are many ways in which this malware can be hidden on your system.

linney asked a question earlier that I felt slightly OT in the entire context of this thread, but I am not ducking.

. You may not in fact get the option with the context menu to "Open with..." known file types
. You can force an Association/external file to open
. You can force an "Open with..."

Other than a discussion of the Assoc command under XP, I believe I covered these earlier topics.

linney's point is that you cannot gaurantee in your context menu that for any given file type you will be give an "Open with..." menu choice. I can force it appearing, but I cannot gaurantee it will appear.

As usual, linney is correct. Count this along with the right panel of the Start menu, how internally an item is "pinned", MRU, and countless other shell item oddities.

sigh, I just want to know why he always picks on me to answer the question.

I can make a context item stick. I just cannot ensure the behavior of the native, default context menu items. Their behavior is whimsical. The serious students of the XP Shell that I know would agree with me.

I can fix it, but I cannot explain it.

Bill Castner

(And would the next jolly swagman going to Australia disconnect linney's computer for me?)

The reason, Bill.

Your simply the best there is.

I do disagree that they were "slightly OT". Any question that I ask is usually prompted by a remark that deserves a challenge or clarification.

Both reasons are what make Tek-Tips the best forum in the world.

And would the next jolly swagman going to Australia disconnect linney's computer for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back