Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programs Missing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil6

Technical User
May 6, 2004
PT
Hi, guys.

Just wondering if you have ever had something like this:

I have a PIV 3.0GHz, 512Mb, 120G HDD (2 partitions, OS on E: ) and WinXP Professional with SP1.

I have Norton Internet Security installed and several adware removals software constantly running. Also, the PC is always running due to the use of a P2P software. Nothing unusual, until the last week.
After I've rebooted the computer, everything looked normal, however when I tried to use some programs (not all, mind you) on the start menu their icons would appear but all the program folders that those programs were related to on Windows\Program Files went AWOL. Most of the programs didn't work. When I tried to start any of the Microsoft Office applications, it would start their installation procedure all over again(!). I tried to install the missing applications again but all of them didn't install successfully. I poked around the net and I found a tool called jv16tools to clean the registry of programs that weren't working and only by cleaning any reference to the missing programs, was I able to install them again. This held for a week. Yesterday, I tried to start Microsoft Word and the installation cd was asked again. So far, it was the only one to go berserk but I'm afraid it starts all over again.
Also, a friend suggested that it could be HD problems but Scandisk came out ok.

Any ideas on what caused this and what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Sorry about the long explanation.

Thanxs

Were you trying Word from a different user than when you re-installed it a week ago?

Hello.

Thank you for your posts. However, none of the links you've provided, bcastner, applies to this case. It's just that the programs don't quit or something like that. The folders where they belong on Program files simply disapeared. And regarding the office applications (and linney, about your question, no, there's only one user on my pc) it appears that the installation has been damaged or something, because on theses cases, the program files folder doesn't disapear, it only asks for the cd, not the serial or quits immediatly as the examples you've provided.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Thank you

is always running due to the use of a P2P"

Virus/spyware from a p2p site?

Let us hope that Word has settled down and this was just a one-off hiccup from you using part of Word that you failed to install when you repaired it a week ago.

If you continue to have strange problems like this check your machines with another virus scanner to get a second opinion of their health. These links will help you with that.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?
faq779-5240

The fact that folders are disappearing suggests perhaps they were removed by a Networked computer action. What Security Permissions do Network Users have on these folders?

Also consider fresh start and reinstall of Windows with SP2. But hopefully it wont come to that, although getting SP2 is a good idea.

I'm waiting for Sp2 to arrive, actually. And yes, I'm going to install it.

However, about your ideas about spyware or a virus... shouldn't they be detected with Norton AV? And I also use Spy Sweeper.

Just from experience I have learned that not one virus scanner will catch every infection. Also virus scanners concentrate on virus infections and tend to be a bit weak on catching Trojans or Worms only detecting the more common ones. A second opinion is worthwhile.

Then what would you suggest rather than Norton AV?

I don't suggest that you dump your current scanner just that you try one of the free online scanners to get a second opinion. You will find links to the free scanners in these.

Removing adware & spyware
FAQ608-4650

What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?
FAQ779-5240

If you want to improve your general security and don't mind spending a little cash then a visit to this site might be worthwhile.

I've actually used panda's online scanner and it came out clean.

Yes, completly. The only thing left were their folders on the Start Menu and reference to them on the registry that kept me form reinstalling any of them.

Evil6,

We have the same exact problem and can't resolve it. We have rebuilt the machine 3 times and the problem keeps reappearing. Did you ever get a solution to your problem?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi guys,
We are having the same problem with several of our servers. Not only have the program icons disappeared, we are unable to install any programs. Icons disappeared under control panel too. Help!
TechLady

techlady,

You may have to supply a bit more information as to your exact problem and the steps (if any) you have tried to correct it.

As a vague sort of general rule these problems are often caused by third party programs or even malware, so what has been changed recently that might be the cause of the problem?

Some general things to try in the meantime.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back