Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programs errors (Several)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickM512

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hey,

I just purchased a Biostar M6VLQ Motherboard with a Celeron 1.3Ghz CPU, plus 128M SDRAM, Case, etc for my parents. I installed Windows 2000 Pro and all seemed ok. I purchased a Modem and installed and tested that it would dial. They use PeoplePC as a provider so I downloaded the Software and burned it to CD. When I try to install the software it starts getting "ispsetup5.exe has generated errors and will be shut down". Now I get this same error with the Dialer.exe and control.exe. I connected my LAN cable to the pc and went to windows update, when I tried the scan for updates I got a failure. I manually searched the site and downloaded SP4 and IE6. Still the same results. I have re-installed W2k in NTFS and FATS format and no change. I tried my RoadRunner Dialup software and it gets "ICC2000.exe has generated errors and will be shut down". So now I swapped out the memory and modem and get the same errors. I just installed Windows XP and still get the same errors. I am lost! I opened a case with the Motherboard Vendor, but nothing yet.

First, reinstall whatever OS you want. FORMAT the drive. Make sure you have the appropriate drivers for all hardware before you do anything. Try getting it connected to the web, but I'd avoid using any cds you have burned yourself, maybe you are just installing corrupted downloads. My personal take is you have a very buggy driver set that you are using, or you haven't installed the drivers properly. If its not a driver issue, you may have received a bad mainboard.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I have installed Windows 2000 twice and XP twice with the same results. I think I am looking at Bad Mainboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back