Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming through phone set

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcwxmcw

Programmer
Mar 11, 2003
US
One of the issues I'm haveing with a lot of my field offices is that the users can do their own basic phone programming through the phone interface. I've installed a lot of MICS and CICS systems and this functionality was avaiable then. I've heard that in later releases this functionality will be coming back. Does anyone know what release or when for both the BCM 50 and 400? I'm looking at installing about 120 of these systems to replace my MD's 8x24s, 6x16s, etc... I'd like to let my users know this funcionality is coming back.

~Matt
My related blogs...

The set programming has been on the BCM from the start. The limitations where you could only configure the telephony information. This is still the same on the BCM 400. The BCM 50 has a few more additions to the set based programming but it is still easier on the PC and you can configure all of the programming.

Marshall

You just shouldn't do any System Programming from a phone, you should use a PC to do that.

It's supported in the BCM 50, and will be in BCM 4.0. It's worked in BCM/Enterprise Edge since day 1, but Nortel "frowned upon" people programming through the sets.

That being said, I do it quite a bit. Much faster to do a simple change through the set than to break out the PC, log in, etc.

I like the fact that different usernames can be assigned to the set based login, or the telset admin can be disabled entirely on the 50 (and in 4.0). It always amazes me how many systems are out there with everything left at default (especially since passwords for everything get posted in public forums all the time). Nothing beats seeing a 7310 phone in a store, mounted to a post, with the default password still set for the system configuration.

I do the same thing every time I walk by one in a store Biv -you are correct. Not to mention all the sysadmin mailboxes I test out of boredom when calling companies with N* VM. (companies where we did not do the install)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back