Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming Promotions in Retail System

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidydotnet

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2003
GB
Hi Guys,

Has anyone programmed Retail Promotions before into a system. I now have a task to come up with some programming to get retail promotions like Buy 1 get 1 free, Buy 2 get 1 free, buy 3 for £10 etc..

Can anyone share their experiences on how best to start etc.

regards

We're going to need some more information to help you effectively I'm afraid.

spidydotnet said:
programmed Retail Promotions before into a system
A system you're developing? What does it need to do?

spidydotnet said:
some programming to get retail promotions
Get them from where?

What are you going to be doing/wanting to do with the promotions?

Regards

Andy
---------------------------------
[green]' Signature removed for testing purposes.[/green]

Hi,

We already have a retail EPOS system which gets a barcode and brings up the prices (anything a normal basic ePOS system would do). Currently, discounts are applied manually by the till operator. The requirement now is to automate them. i.e., we need to design the system to be able to setup the promotions like "Buy 1 get 1 free", "Buy 3 for £10" etc. So, I was wondering where to start. Any info like the DB table structures, triggers and programming could do.

Hope this explains my subject better. If not, please ask.

thanks

Does your company own the code to the POS system? If not, I am not sure how you are going to tack on additional functionality unless the POS system includes a developer API. If it does include a developer API, then we won't be able to give you any generic advice because you will be dependent upon the specs of the API.

If you do have the source code, then I suggest you do any mods in the typical DEV/TEST scenario. Implementing the promotional logic should not be hard. I mean, really all it should boil down to is storing a set of conditions and the result thereof to run against your transactions.

Yes.. we own the code and it was developed by us from scratch. So, we are free to do what we want.

If (B I G) if, the system uses a date/time tag for the prices of items, it is just a matter of entering the 'Promotion' pricing. e.g. buy one get one free is just 0.5 * the 'regular' price for the promotion period.

If you do not maintain the tagged prices ...

MichaelRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back