Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming problem w/Partner ACS R4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

telephonenewbie687

Technical User
Jan 23, 2010
US
Folks,

I’ve become the telephone administrator by default and am having problems with a programming feature on our system. I simply cannot figure out how to change a specific feature; I’ve looked through the manuals but cannot locate a solution.

We’ve moved into a new building and are using a Partner ACS R4 system and its associated modules: V5 voice mail, 308e, 400e.

Each time one of the line buttons is pressed to answer an outside call (or to place one) the HFAI and speaker activate automatically and seize the line. I don’t wish for this to happen. Instead, I would prefer that once the outside line key is pressed to answer or place a call, the user be given the option of lifting the handset or pressing the speakerphone. I wonder whether there are a couple of features improperly activated that, together, are causing this to happen.

Could anyone please offer a suggestion?

Thank you!

If the phone is making the ringing sound, there is no need to press the line key. Simply lift the handset, or press the SPKR button, and you will automatically be connected to the line that is ringing.

If you want to place an outgoing call while your phone is ringing, and ignore the incoming call, you must press an available line button before lifting the handset or pressing SPKR.

If your extension is programmed for No Ring, then you MUST press the ringing line before lifting the handset or pressing SPKR.

So it sounds like perfectly normal operation.

If you want to place an outgoing call while your phone is ringing, and ignore the incoming call, you must press an available line button before lifting the handset or pressing SPKR."

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I made myself clear. The problem is that as soon as I press the available line button (ignoring the incoming call) the spkr activates. It doesn't allow the option of lifting the the handset. It seems that the "activate speaker function" is tied directly to the line buttons. Hopefully, I explained it better this time :)

Continued:

Or perhaps better stated: Let's say several lines are ringing. I realize that I can lift the handset or press spkr and the appropiate line will be answered. But let's say I wish to answer a different line and I wish to answer by lifting the handset. I *should* be able to press the appropriate line button and then lift the handset. Instead, as soon as I press the appropriate line button, the spkr activates, even though I didn't press the spkr button. It's as if the spkr function is programmed to the line buttons as well. Strange..

Thanks for reading all this :)

Some of the "call handling" functions are "fixed" in software, and the lift handset or press SPKR I believe is one of them. Did you read the "Handling Calls" section in the Partner IPU document? Also ALS (Automatic Line Selection) has control of which line may be selected when placing a call. You are going to be limited in how you want the set to work because of the "fixed logic" of the Partner. Read the appropriate sections in the IPU document to get a better idea of the system logic operation verses features so you can understand the limitations of the system.

Then you either adapt to the system logic or get another phone system.

....JIM....

Jim-

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact read the document. It states that to answer the phone, select the line button and then lift the handset or press the speakerphone. So, if I'm reading the document correctly, the system is not functioning correctly. Right now, as soon as I press the line button, the speakerphone activates (even though I didn't press the speaker button). Thus, to answer the phone by handset, the speakerphone must activate first.

Are all Partner systems answering the same way?

Again, thanks for the input; I appreciate it.

That appears to be normal behavior. My personal ACS R7 processor operates that way. Select a line....the speaker turns on....lift the handset....the speaker switches off and audio shifts to the handset.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Thanks-

Do you know wheher that function can be changed so that the speaker does not come on?

Most in the office don't like it. But, most importantly, it creates a problem with a conference hybrid that is plugged into the AUX jack of a system phone. In fact, if I could disable the speaker function altogether, at least from the phone with the hybrid, that would be great.

Thanks everyone for your input...

I doubt it. It is simply the way these systems operate.

Now the Merlin Magix is different. I can select a specific line and the speaker doesn't switch on unless the speaker button is pressed (at least that is how it works with 4424D+ and 4424LD+ sets).

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back