Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming a magnetic stripe on a card

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgma

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2007
US
Does anyone know how to write a program so that you can write data to one of the tracks of a magnetic stripe on cards such as credit cards?

Our company provides security cards for other companies. We would like to change what we are doing and start using a card that they swipe through a card reader like you do with a credit card.

I have purchased a writer but there are no instructions as how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What type of writer is it (make/model)? I'm wondering if there is some sort of SDK for it.

Have you considered using a low frequency RFID product instead of the magnetic strip cards? Many companies are now using this type of technology instead.

Senior Software Developer

The model is MSR505C. I am not sure of the make. I have not been able to find and SDK but I might be able to go through a COM port.

We are going to eventually piggy back on another card that uses the magnetic stripe.

Here is the company that manufactures it. It looks like your reader should have come with some software. It that software is not what you need, I would contact them to figure out how to best use it in your software.

Senior Software Developer

Thanks!! I will get in touch with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back