Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

programming a 5340 with static IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjsnow67

Technical User
Mar 24, 2008
US
Trying to program a 5340 IP phone with a static IP address. I input the parameters that are needed. However when I plug the phone into a layer two switch, the registration process stops with the following on the display.

phone ip x.x.x.x.
ICP x.x.x.x

Please help me to understand why the phone does not fully registers.

Thanks,

kjsnow67

if the static is out of the range of the scope in the DHCP server (whether it's on the 3300 or not) you need to add that ip address and MAC address to the static form in the 3300

I am using a Mitel MXe 3300 without the use of a DHCP server, I did input the information into the DHCP static form. However when I plug the phone into a layer two switch, the registration process stops with the following on the display.

phone ip x.x.x.x.
ICP x.x.x.x

Please help me to understand why the phone does not fully registers.

Thanks,

Can you ping from the phone to the ICP, or vice versa? Sounds like the phone can't connect to the ICP for some reason.

No, i am not able to ping the phone from the ICP because the phone shows that it is out of service.

The point I'm trying to make is that with the phone sitting in the state you describe, in my experience means that the phone cannot communicate with the ICP. This could be due to a large variety of reasons. Make sure you have network connectivity between the subnet you're trying to static the IP set for, and the 3300ICP it needs to communicate with. This would include checking your VLAN's and firewalls if there are any involved.

Can you unplug the phone and put a PC/Laptop to that jack? Statically assign the NIC on the PC with the same info as the phone. Does it work? If not, check your network.

Have you programmed a VLAN into the phone? Are you using VLAN's?

I am able to statically assign the PC with the same IP address and it works. I am using vlans on my layer 2 switch and program the phone with the vlan id of my layer 2 switch

If a PC works and the Phone does not the only difference is likely to be the VLAN settings. Try dedicating the port to the appropriate VLAN and skip that step in the phone.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

So which VLAN are you setting the phone for? Let's say, for the sake of illustration, that VLAN 1 is data, and VLAN 2 is voice; you need to set the phone for VLAN 2, the appropriate L2 priority for that VLAN, and an available IP address in that VLAN's subnet.

Also, make sure that the port facing the 3300 is coded for ONLY the voice VLAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back