Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming 4-digit "speed-dial" numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kythri

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
US
Hello!

Recently, due to corporate restructuring and facility closures, one of our buildings on this campus was isolated from us (data, phone, etc) and put on their own service.

As such, they do not receive telephone service from our Definity any longer, instead having direct lines from the telco.

As such, to call from the building next door, we now have to dial the full number (9, area code, number)

That building has approximately 40 phones in it, all with the last four digits being 49xx.

My Definity has no 4xxx extensions or stations configured/programmed for it.

What I'd like to do is setup a series of 4-digit speed-dials with the 49xx prefix to dial these people up without having to dial the full number.

I know it can be done, because several speed dials exist with a 70XX number - unfortunately, I was handed the Definity with little to no training, and the most I can do is setup new stations, config programmable buttons, that kind of thing.

I don't know how to display the configuration of the existing 70xx speed-dials to look at for reference, even.

Any help that can be provided would be most appreciated.

There are several ways of doing this, my choice would be to use the ARS digit-conversion.

cha ars dig 4
[tt]
Matching Pattern Min Max Del Replacement String Net Conv ANI Req
49XX 4 4 4 9122233349XX ars y n[/tt]

Make an entry for each one of your 40+ 49XX numbers.

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

Does it make sense to put a dedicated facility, such as a T-1, between the two switches? Telco phone calls can get pretty expensive if you're talking a large volume. If your switches are configured with Uniform Dial Plan (UDP) it makes it even simpler.

Kevin

OK, just did one for a test.

Went to dial, and just get the warble tone (i.e. invalid extension/number).

4merAvaya:

The reason the facility was isolated was due to it being scheduled to remain open after the main facility (of which I am in) is closed in a few months.

That building actually has a Cisco VOIP solution setup between it (in Oregon) and the Corporate HQ (in AZ).

I'm just trying to make things a wee bit easier on the 100 or so people that'll be here for the next 6 months prior to complete closure and decommission of the Definity.

kythri,

SF0751's option would be my route for 40 numbers, but if you can't get it to work here is another option.

I am doing something similar to this, but on a different scale, I use it to support speed dials to over a thousand locations worldwide. I am not sure how well this will tie into your environment, but here are the steps I am taking:

-under feature-access-codes admin setup a code for an open abbreviated dialing list use 1, 2, 3, whichever is open, but must tie into the next step

-On your users Station form under abreviated dialing use list 1, 2,or 3 whichever is open, re-label as "enhanced"

-also on the Station form, add an autodial button for the feature-access-code you used in step 1

-use "change abbreviated-dialing enhanced XX" to add your numbers. So to add speed dial 1234 you would use "change abbreviated-dialing enhanced 12" and key in the full 10 digit dialstring on the 1234 field in the form, make sure you remember the 9...

Once this is setup, users will press the autodial you added and dial the 4 digit code from the enhanced list. You can also add other items for common outbound numbers as well. This helped out our associates tremendously, especially with long foreign numbers in Europe and Asia.

Other suggestions -
Create an x-port station for each 49XX number. Give each one a remote coverage path (cha cov remote) that points to the 111-222-49XX number. Make sure the coverage path activates after just 1 ring.

Create a VDN and vector for each 49XX number, with the vector commands being a simple "route-to number 911122249XX with cov n if unconditionally" command.

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

Marcell:

It's a Definity G3 - let me know what command to issue, and I can give you that information from the switch itself.

If you type in "newterm" It will list the model and version of software you are using.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

System: G3siV6
Software Version: G3V6i.03.2.239.5

Sf had it right except the command is "change AAR digit 4" not ARS. ARS implies the user dialed a 9 before the 4xxx.

-CL

Hrmm...

Tried it with the AAR.

Added an entry:

Matching Pattern Min Max Del Replacement String Net Conv ANI Req
4944 4 4 4 9503XXX4944 ars y n

Still get the warble tone when dialing 4944.

you need to leave the 9 off of the number. By flagging NET as ars, it ready knows to use the outside network.

-CL

Hrmm - OK, removed the 9 from under the "Replmacement String" heading, so it was just "503XXX4944" and I stil get the same warble tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back