Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROGRAMME UNINSTALL PROBLEM 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul329

Technical User
Dec 21, 2002
GB
WINDOWS98SE
when I go into add\remove programmes and try to remove a particular programme I get "could not load initialize file".
could someone please tell me how to remove the programme entry from the "add\remove programme"list?
Many thanks
Paul

You could do a search of the Registry > run regedit, click on the find option and enter the name of the program. Delete all entries found. After each entry click F3 to find next. Please be careful!

I use a program called Erazer99 (yes, it's that old). It's especially useful if the program has been removed from the hard disk but it is still showing up on the Add/Remove Programs lists and is still listed in the registry. You used to be able to get a free trial. There is a similar one called Add/Remove Plus. Either do a search on tucows or cnet or just find what you can in Google.

Hope that helps.

Another good solution is to try reinstalling the app. This will replace any files that you might have deleted by mistake. Then, you should be able to remove it from Add/Remove Programs.

Just be careful if you decide to manually remove it. It won't do any harm, but chances are you won't find every registry key or DLL file that the program used, leaving junk behind.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back