Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programmatic Interfacing to Avaya Definity PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmaione

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
US
I am wondering if there is any software available to allow a Windows-based program
to query the Avaya PBX. Specifically I have a situation where I need to determine what
physical extension / station a particular agent is logged into. I dial go into the CMS
system and run a report and determine this info. I can see the agent login id and the associated physical extension / station listed. However what I need to do is query this via a Windows program. Are there any software packages that would allow me to do this type of query. For example if agent id 1234 logs into the phone with extension 57111 I need a program I can send 1234 which talks to the Avaya and returns 57111.

If you want to know the relationship between agents and extensions, just do a "list agents" and you have them all. From here, it must not be difficult for a programmer to invent something.

If you do "list agents" check F5 before you enter and see if there are more options you can use.

Happy programming!!

here's another option. although it is probably more complex (and expensive) than the one you are looking for, i thought it might be worth mentioning.

there is a relatively new product called active enterprise, which consists of a set of applications and activeX components. you can use these applications out of the box or you can use the activex components to write your own programs. you also decide how complex you want to be: using high-level or low-level commands/functions.

you can then control the entire call processing software from your own application and create softphones, call routing software, screen popups, ... you name it. the only limit is your imagination.

the downside -imho- is the cost and setup: it requires a centrevu ct server and additional active enterprise licenses to work, but on the other hand you get total control of the definity software!

hope this helps...

You can use the ASAI interface from Avaya (you can download the API for free at The ASAI API is a C based library and is a bit difficult to learn and use. It does also require extra hardware and software to work. You need a MAPD board in the PBX and either CV/LAN software on your MAPD board or CentreVu Telephony Server (the price tag is arround $30,000 for both). Please note that if you use CV/LAN on the MAPD board you can have 60 concurrent connections and if you use the telephony server you can only have 30 connections. this limitation can be solved if you use a server based component. I have developed such a component running on Windows NT/2000 server. Clients access the Definity using an ActiveX component (via DCOM). If yo would like to get more information about how to make such a component you are more than welcome to contact me at rene@rbcdata.com
Kind Regards
René Bechmann
RBC Data

This would be somewhat easy to do (for me anyways)in Reflection (by WRQ ~ $250 US), which is a terminal emulator that is controlled with VBA and has the VBA editor/macro recorder built into it.

If I were making this, I would do a 'list agent staff' and add all Logins to one array, Extensions to a second array, and names to a third array (if names were needed). Then it would page through until the list was finished and search the Login array for the login you specified. It would then take the index of where it found it in the login array and report what has the same index in the Extension array. If the login wasn't found in the login array, it would say the login wasn't found. If 'list agent staff' is a valid command for you, let me know, and I'll make a macro when time allows... That is, if you want to buy Reflection. I still might make it anyways, because I like the your idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back