Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program won't open for all users on XP Pro Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnF

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
Hello,

I'm having trouble with a possible security setting somewhere in regards to a program I've installed that I want to have multiple users use (at this point just 2 domain users). The machine is aa WinXP Pro, and it logs on to a Win2k domain. The program itself is a label making program, fairly basic in design.

When I install the label program as the local administrator, it works for the local administrator and domain admin. If I log on as one of the domain users, the program does not open at all and gives me 3 different errors. None of the errors are Windows errors and aren't much help, so I've left them out for now. However, if on the machine in question I go to the User Accounts section of the control panel and add the user(s) to be a member of Administrators, the program works fine. If I change them to regular users or even Power Users the errors come back and the program won't open.

So somewhere there's something about being an admin that determines if this program will run. To try and fix this, I've already uninstalled the program and reinstalled it using "Run As" the local Administrator when actually logged in as two of the domain users. That didn't work. It still only works for the admin. I've gone to the local machine's local security policy and added one of the users to every single thing in there to basically just see if the security setting was in there or not. Nope. Then I figured the domain security policy on the server must be over-riding it so I did the same in there. Didn't work. So I removed the user from every listing (so I don't forget later).

For at least one of the users, I've set up a pretty strict Organizational Unit in which they are only allowed to use this program and one other one similar to it (but this one works fine). Meaning, no Internet, no CDROM usage, no email, no MS Office, no games, no logging on to any other computer but this one, no icons on the desktop etc... This of course was all set up on the server in Active Directory.

Can I just call the users "administrators" on the local computer in the Control Panel--User Accounts section, but still leave the Organizational Unit policy in effect w/o dire consequences? In other words, will the OU policy restrictions be cancelled out and become ineffective as a result of deeming the users "administrators?" What else can I possibly try?

I have a related thread going on the XP Pro board for reference:

thread779-465167 issue is probably better to be addressed here though, since it's not neccessarily just an XP Pro issue and involves domain policy settings.

Hi, there, a bit basic, this, but are you using a mapped port to get to the file? If so, are all users mapping this port through their login?

Hello,

Nope, no mapped port. The software is 100% installed on the local PC. Although I may be misinterpreting what you're asking. The software is installed in C:\theprogram. I did not even install it in the usual Program Files folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back