Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program will not open under certain user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
Hello,

I left this question in the Photoshop Forum, but realised that it may be more of a Windows 2K issue than Photoshop.

I have a user who has Admin rights to her computer (Win2K). As of Friday whenever she opens up Photoshop, it loads up the files needed to run, but then the loading stops and Photoshop never opens. I've checked the running tasks and processes, nothing adobe related is running. She has not installed any programs in the past few months, we have tried rebooting her computer, reinstalling the software, uninstalling/installing the software. Nothing.

Now here's the tricky thing: When I log in as administrator or even as myself (with admin rights) on the computer, Photoshop opens without any problems.

Does anyone know of a way to get Photoshop to do this? Or am I going to have to recreate the account?????

Thanks,
Ladyslinger

hi
photoshop oftens like to use a specific folder for temp files and the like, maybe its trying to access something like that stored in an inaccessable User folder ..run it as an admin and look for its prefernces page .

or

try logging on as a the user, create a new shortcut and run it with different credentials

does the event log say anything?

--
best regards
will

Yes,

The event log just says "Application Starting"
"Application Started"
"Application Terminated"

It also mentions about a DLL possibly being missing, but I did a search for that and found it.

I'll try changing the temp folder though, thanks!

Ladyslinger

I logged in as Administrator, changed the scratch/temp folder, but it didn't work for the user.

She also has her own shortcuts...

She did mention to me that she tried to plug in the ZIP drive for the first time last week, so I'm wondering if this would've caused Photoshop to change for her user ID.

We're waiting for a 500 page document to finish being printed, because she only has one serial port to share between a printer and a Zip drive. Will let you know of any updates.

Nope...I've even checked in the task manager to see if it was still running, but frozen, but nothing.

And also the Zip idea did not work. I'm thinking about copying her information over and creating a new user account for her.

Did you try logging as THAT user and install it while logged in as THAT person?

Yes I did. I've uninstalled, installed as Administrator, as that user (since they have Administrative access).

It's just the weirdest thing. I've looked all through the knowledge database and cannot find anything remotely similar to my issue.

Thanks tho!

LS

Have you tried right clicking on the file and doing an open with? Maybe photoshop is not your default handler for images.

DeezNs, I went into the program directory and opened the exe file on Photoshop.
What was happening is that Photoshop would begin to open, but then quit after it loaded up some of the files to run it. I would not be opening an image, I would be opening the program. I even tried opening a PSD file to get Photoshop to open. But that didn't work.

I finally just deleted and recreated the user account. It has been fine ever since.

Thank you for all your suggestions though!

LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back