Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program to distinguish changes in code

Status
Not open for further replies.

33216CLC

Programmer
Aug 17, 2000
BS
Is there a program that I can use to distinguish changes made to code or the difference in code between two of the same vb forms. Myself and another programmer are making changes to a program. Unfortunately the other programmer did not mark the changes that they made as was agreed and my changes are also unmarked. I would like to be able to Identify the other changes to code.

Thanks

Do you have SourceSafe?

It's a proper versioning tool - allowing either you or your mate to take control of particular files, and them check them back to the master copy when you're done. The idea is that if you are working on a file, your colleague is able to modify it into such time as you have released your hold on it.

The SourceSafe program has a component program called WINDIFF, which will then examine different versions of the file (another big advantage of sourcesafe being that it keeps a history of all your modfications) and highlight what's been inserted, edited or removed.

mmilan.

WINDIFF also come standard with Visual Studio 6.0. You do not need Visual Source Safe for WINDIFF.

Thanks both of you. I was referred to Windiff, but when I checked the help to find out how to get to it it was disabled under the Vb documation which gave me the impression that it only worked with c++. So it does work with VB? How do I get to it?

THanks

Windiff works fine with the VB code and .frm files. If you point it at a binary file (.frx, .exe, .dll, etc), it will just tell you if they differ, and won't show you the details like you'd get for a text file like the .cls, .bas files.

Windiff can have problems matching stuff up when you use one of the auto line-numbering add-ins.

A much better commercial product for that situation is Araxis Merge.

Chip H.

I use and enjoy Beyond Compare. (I've found it quite useful for both file and folder comparisons. It allows editing and merging as well.

They have an eval version that runs for 30 days or so. Runs about $30.

RS

Thank you all so much for you input. I've been a bit tied up with other matters, but I'll look into your suggestions and see which works out best.

Thanks again

I just tried Beyond Compare, and it's quite nice. Especially for only $30.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back