Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program to block web browsing & IM

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexus37

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2006
US
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum, but here is my issue. We have about 20 users on xp pro and a windows small business server 2003 all on one domain and a linksys router. We are trying to stop them from web surfing and instant messaging between the hours of 8:30 - 5:30. They do need access to the internet, but do not need to be web surfing, shopping or IM during business hours. Is there a program that can do this or is it something I need to do through the server or router? Can anyone help?

We use the product Websence...you can train it for groups of sites, adult or gaming, and customize it too

Tom

It depends on what they need access to the internet for during those hours. It might be easier to block outgoing traffic on all ports other than the ones that are required. IIRC SBS Premium includes a internet proxy, ISA Server, that can do this.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thanks I will look into the Websence.

They do need access to certain sites, but as far as browsing, shopping, and chatting needs to be blocked. Is this proxy server hard to setup?

If you know all the sites that are allowed then you can do this easily within SBS - see
You can also set up access groups so certain people can have unrestricted access while the bulk will be limited.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back