Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program that automatically runs desired files and presses the buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

neuron07

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2003
US
Hi,

I have created a project in Visual Basic 6, and the goal of this program was to automatically run (one at a time), files that I specified in a directory. Once it ran the application (using the shell command), I found the HWND values of the buttons such as 'I Agree', 'I Disagree',
Next >, and so on.

It seemed to be working fine, but after it ran the first two applications and completed them with the auto-button press functions (these are patches for WindowsXP by the way), it tried to run the third one, but it wouldn't run. I could see it attempt to run it, but it would never come up.

After that I would have to reboot my computer in order to run the other patches manually.

The wierd thing is that if I do it all by hand, it has no fault. All of the patches run fine and I never have to restart.

In my program I had functions to make sure it wasn't giving commands if the window had not popped up yet, or if the buttons hadn't been enabled yet.

Can anyone help me figure out why it is doing this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Travis

Perhaps, don't know for sure, but maybe your program is using a resource that one of the updates is trying to update, or use exclusively???

Good Luck

That may be the case, but if it is, I'm not sure what it would be, possibly the registry?

The programs I am trying to run are Microsoft SP2 updates. There are 25 of them, and they all update the registry keys in Windows XP.

However, I wouldn't know how to prevent my program from continuously using those resources. It's a good start though.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back