Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program stops responding when remote server selected

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkins

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2002
US
I have a server which is running v8.6 and is remotely backing up a server with Agent Accelerator. I have a second server which also needs to be backed up remotely and it has Agent Accelerator on it also. The problem is that when I go to select the server to view files to be backed up (the server selection box is NOT grayed out), Backup Exec freezes and stops responding. All the servers are in the same domain. Thanks in advance for any help!

How long do you wait for Backup Exec to unfreeze? Does it stay like that permanently, requiring you to terminate it? When browsing the network, it usually tries for a given amount of time, during which it is unresponsive to other requests (much like Windows Explorer). But eventually it will time out and resume normal responsiveness.

If it freezes for a while then comes back, then there is probably some sort of network connectivity issue between the two servers. Can the server ping the client, and vice versa?

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

I let the system sit over night once just to see if it would eventually unfreeze. It didn't. I have to end the task each time I try it. I can ping the other server and navigate to it in network neighborhood. It seems to be a connectivity issue isolated to Backup Exec.

We have been experiencing this same problem for the last month.

I can ping and navigate normally to a remote server in the same domain as the media server, but when I click on it in Backup Exec v8.6 the program freezes and crashes.

I decided to install the Backup Exec v9.0 evaluation copy on another free server to test it and it managed to connect to the problematic server (still a bit slow though).

I then tried our original 8.6 server again and amazingly after ten minutes of freezing the media server accessed the remote server. It will not recognise the remote agent and so we still have a problem.

Thankfully, we are about to upgrade to v9.0 and so I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

Do you have a separate license for each Agent Accelerators (Remote Agents)?

-SQLBill

I have a site license which means that I can use the same license 4 times on my Remote agent Accelerators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back