Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Roll out software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen112

Programmer
Jan 25, 2002
US
I'm looking to do a roll out of msn messenger 4.6 on about 100 or so Pc's .. without visiting each comp. anybody know of any good software delivery solutions that offer a free trial?

Thanks

This isn't the best way to do this, but it may save you some time. There is a program called remotely anywhere, which you can try out 100 licenses for 30 days (it installs remotely as well). Instead of walking around to each machine you could remotely access them and install the software that way. ie you could put the messenger software going on one, log into another, and so on. If you like the software a site license is about $6400 dollars.....

Other than that, I am not sure of any free trials that will allow licensing to that many computers. I will watch this thread as I am interested now.

flip

Thanks for your reply, however I already use VNC for remote desktop management and thats freebie. I was looking more along the lines for something that would install the software upon login or at a certain time without my intervention at all.

Zenworks, LANDesk, Alteris, SMS (msft), Tivoli and others all can do desktop mgt to varying degrees, handle remote control, inventory, application distriution, imaging, etc. We use Zen here and love it. Zen includes remote access software (like PCA/VNC), inventory modules, imaging, app distribution, etc. Zen can install when the user double-clicks an icon or software can be installed with a "force run" when the machine boots up or whenever. (between this time and that time, etc)
Cool beans. ;)

I need to distribute a software for my remote branch office and they have file server. I actually want to distribute a batch file, which run the software installation from the local server. I only have one SMS server at HQ.
I manage to distribute the batch file but when it run "\\<localServer>\install.bat" The system prompt connect as.

Both client & Server machine are running W2K.
My SMS Server is version 2.0

I have no problem if I distribute the exe program, it can install but it will take time for my remote branches because installation via WAN to distribution point (SMS Server at HQ).

What is the best way of distributing a batch file, that make the remote user run the setup program, which source installation program is sitting in their local server?

Thanks in advance.

you're getting the "connect as" because evryone doesn't have read and execute permissions to the folder that the software is in. Share that folder and give everyone read and execute permission and it will run.

I already given everyone read & execute rights, but still cannot.
Any ideas why?

Jasken, the only software I know os is Sitekeeper. It gives you 20 licenses in trial mode and that is it. It will deploy your software like you want.

chongtl, you may want to look at SMS Installer (I believe it works with 2.0). With it you can create packages and msi's that will enable you to push the app and run with admin rights.

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back