Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Quit and Exception code C0000005 logged in Window 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinYeung

Programmer
Apr 20, 2001
HK
HI all,

I build an application in VFP6.0 + SP5, however, this application alway quit suddenly when i activate a screen function in my windows 2000 pro workstation. Even the W2K OS is a fresh install, the problem repeat and repeat, I get from the event log and found that it logged the program was terminated due to what 'Exception code C0000005', something like that. Anyone can help or suggest the around method?

I tested the application in other platforms like Win ME, 98, but no problems appeared for the same screen function.

Many Thanks!

Franklin

Franklin,
Since that error is Windows way of telling an application that "something terrible" happened, it's not very informative. You'll need to narrow it down to the exact line(s) in code where this is actually happening before you're going to be able to get any reasonable help.

Just go to MSDN KnowledgeBase at Choose Visual FoxPro, and C0000005 and you'll get 54 articles (right now). Switch to all Microsoft Products, and you'll get hundreds!

Rick

italic when i activate a screen function in my windows 2000 pro
workstation

are you talking about a screen function from your vfp application? or a windows screen function?

if from VFP, are you doing anything with forms. like removeobject? if so try thisform.release. Attitude is Everything

hi everyone,
i am having the same fatal exception code c0000005
when launching vfp7
when i log on as a different user it launches without problem;
i am using win Xp pro

ANY IDEAS ?????????????????????????????

Thank you
One_4_All_&_All_4_One

chmatta,
Just curious - did you read my response to Franklin? Did you not understand it? What code is being executed differently?

Rick

Could be that your access rights aren't set up properly. Make sure you have sufficient rights to the directories where your temp files are going, as well as the FOXUSER.DBF file. If VFP is unable to create/update these, you will get errors. Also, it could be that you have corrupt index files. Delete and recreate those from scratch also.
Dave S.

Hi Rick

Thank you for your link, My problem is when i click one of the menu item in my VFP6 application, the error code appears, but for other 'menu.click' action, no problem and everything go smoothly. i will try to narrow it down to find out what happening when init the form or when load the form. That why i suspect the problem not from the windows 2000 access right setting.

BTW, Thanks again

Franklin

Hi Franklin and Chmatta,

I have faced this problem not only in Running application, but even in the development environment under W2000.

This happens when, you have a method created by the developer.. example.. "ThisForm.GetNewId"... and if you want to call this method from some other method, we can do it by the code "ThisForm.GetNewId" in the calling method. However, if you put the code..
ThisForm.GetNewId() by adding the two brackets, the error mentined above flashes and the application quits.

I feel this is a bug and I have no answer so far for this.
If you recompile without these brackets mentioned above, the error dosent appear.
:)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Hi ramani,

Thank you for your help, but what if i want to pass parameter? I can't remove the brackets, is it right?

I will try to remove the brackets and test the application in the production stage.

Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back