Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program is haunted. Refrers to values no longer there

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashwarj

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
US
I had a field name Owner_Full_Name and renamed it to Full_Name. The program still says I am trying to insert a value into the Owner_Full_Name. I did a search on all code for the form and no OWner_Full_Name was returned.

Error is as follows:

Connectivity error:[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The insert into statement contains the following unknown field name:'Owner_Full_Name'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, ahd try again.

Have you tried a rebuild all? Sometimes things can get a little messed up and the objectcode is not the same as what you are seeing in your code snippets. I've had to blow away the contents of the objcode field before and then recompile to get rid of this sort of thing. To see the objcode field open up your scx as a table and browse it. Slighthaze = NULL

You say that you are using the Access driver, can I assume that the database is an Access one you are using, not fox? If so, you may have changed the data in Access, but if you are using views in Fox, the view may still contain the old field name, not the new one, and therefore will present this error.

Regards

Simon

If you are using a View in VFP to do the insert, you'll need to rebuild the View anytime the referenced table structure changes. This can be simplified by using the free ViewEditor ( or by using StoneField Database Toolkit ( - they both can "fix" the view for you without totally rebuilding it.

Rick

ok to heck with haunted I have the devil in my computer or something. This morning i came in and it worked 100%, I compiled the program ran it once then went back into foxpro ran it and it gave me a error stating the memo field value could not be null. So i closed out went back in and then it gave me the data type error again. If anyone wants I can zip this thing up and they can take a look at it.

Well, a quick test:

1. Run the software on another computer:

if you don't get the error:
it does indeed suggest that you have the devil in your computer

otherwise:
the devil could be resident in the building (i'd get out of there)

Seriously tho, it does sound like remote data source problems.

Are you using remote views? Sounds like null information is being returned from the remote source for this field (in the view make sure you have NULL ticked in the structures box).

Regards

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back