Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterve

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2000
NL
Hi,

I'm having problems with the Program Files folder on my XP box. It seems that this directory is marked read only, and I can't overrule these settings.
I'm logged on as local administrator,
I can turn off the read only attribute, but it reverts itself to read only immediately

I need to make some changes to ini files under program files, but I can't save the changes...

How can I overcome this ?
thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post was helpfull, please click below to let me know !

Read Only

You may be unable to remove the Read-Only attribute from a folder using Windows Explorer. In addition, some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to the folder.

This behavior occurs because the folder is customized. You can customize a folder by clicking Customize this folder on the View menu. Many programs also customize folders (for example, the Fonts folder comes with a customization as part of the standard system configuration).

Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not the folder is customized. To work around this behavior, you can configure Windows Explorer to use the System flag instead of the Read-Only flag. To do this, use the following steps.

NOTE : Some programs do not operate correctly with folders that have the System attribute configured. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer. On the Edit menu, click Add Value and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: UseSystemForSystemFolders
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1
Quit Registry Editor.

You can find additional information about folder customization in the Platform Software Development Kit (SDK). Refer to the PathMakeSystemFolder function and the "Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini" shell basics chapter at the following Microsoft Web sites:

See if this helps you.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

You could also have a look at the "CACLS" command. Details to be found by searching in Help and Support program under "Managing System Information from the command line" and the link from there to "Command-line reference A-Z"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back