Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program files in 2 locations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sboggs

MIS
Jan 27, 2004
US
We have elected to discontinue drive re-mapping due to some recent readings and advice of some outside support. My problem is that as I build a new server to add to my existing farm, I am loading applications on the C drive. All my applications on the other servers are on the M drive. My applications path in CMC is currently M:\Program Files\... Is it possible for me to have it both ways? Is there a variable that I can put in the application path so that it always points to the local hard drive depending on which server I have connected to?

Applications can exist in different locations on different servers rather easily. Simply open the properties of the app in the CMC and under servers select the server(s) you want to change the path and click edit configuration. Then changed the location for those servers.

*TIP: You can select and edit multiple servers at the same time by holding down CTRL when selecting the servers.

Ahhh...I did not know that you could do that. I thought that editing that path affected all servers. Thanks!
What I ended up doing was creating an environment variable of local to point to the local hard drive on each server. Then in my path, I used %local%\Program Files, etc. Your answer provides much more flexibility though.
Thanks Tony also for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back