Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

program connecting to intenet? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoknow

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
US
Hi, I have 2 computers on a network at home using Internet Connection Sharing. The client is running 98Se and the server is running XPHome, I'm on a dialup connection. Everything works fine except the client computer periodically connects to the internet on it's own.
I've checked the settings on the virus programs and have it set so that it doesn't automatically check for updates, so I don't think that is the problem. Is there a way to find out what program is doing this? Or how do I set the permissions so that instead of automatically connecting to the inernet, you have to click the OK button?
Thanks,
Tech No Know

This may be innocent behavior. An example is a program that is set to "Autoupdate", such as an antivirus program.

There are actually two autodial mechanisms in XP. One is configured through IE and is triggered by calls to the wininet API. The other is the "rasauto" service which is triggered by when certain network events occur.

IE's autodial usually pops up and dials when applications are launched.

The rasauto service pops up the following prompt at any time: &quot;You or a program has requested information from <location>. Which connection do you want to use?&quot;

To prevent auto-dialing from IE, use the Internet Options settings in IE.

To prevent rasauto's prompts, just stop and disable the &quot;rasauto&quot; service.
You can do this through the computer management console, or by entering the following two commands via cmd.exe:

sc config rasauto start= disabled
net stop rasauto

One thing to be aware of is that the rasauto service is used by connection sharing. If you have connection sharing enabled on your computer (e.g. your computer is being used as the home network's Internet gateway), then you should not disable or stop the rasauto service.

To view the list of names and addresses recorded by AutoDial, type the following command at a command prompt:
rasautou -s

To delete a name or address entry from the list: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Addresses

You can delete any TCP/IP addresses that you see under this key. Note that AutoDial can use IP addresses, DNS fully qualified domain names (FQDN), and NetBIOS names.

there is also a setting in your dialup that lets the other computer dial.uncheck it to stop the habit.

Hi, bcastner

Thanks for your very informative post.

I had exactly the same problem some time ago and had alot of trouble figuring out what was causing the gateway to connect to the ISP. It turned out there were 2 programs doing it:

- McAfee anti-virus, even though auto-update was disabled.
- An old copy of Real Player on my wife's computer was dialling out about once a week.

Both apps are now history.

It wouldn't be a problem if the line would drop subsequent to use, but it was staying open until the ISP non-activity timeout, and tying up the fax line the whole time so it was a real nuisance.

Jock

bcastner, Thanks for the post. I do have connection sharing enabled so I guess that I can't disable the rasauto service.
I tried checking the rasautou -s at the command prompt and there weren't any name or addresses listed. I've changed the settings in IE internet options to &quot;Never dial a connection&quot; but it still does the same thing.

JockMullin, so how did you figure out what programs were causing the problem.

hardrock49, I want to be able to dial up from the other computer, I just don't want it to do it on it's own.

Any more suggestions?
Jim

Often enabling a good software firewall will inform you of who wants to dial out. Try a rules-based firewall from Kerio or Sygate. As there are no pre-existing rules permitting a dial-out, each instance will pop-up on your screen detailing the program and the IP being requested and asking whether to permit or deny the action.

I had a similar problem with the same setup, however I only used the &quot;slave&quot; occasionly. Everytime I would turn on the &quot;slave&quot;, my host would dial up the internet before logging on the slave. Solution:
My Network Places,View Network Connections, Advanced Menu and Advanced Settings. Select the &quot;Provider Order&quot; tab. (Write down settings) Change to 1.Microsoft Windows Network. 2. Web Client Network. 3. Microsoft Terminal Services.
If this doesn't help, put everything back to default (that's why you wrote it down!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back