Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proftpd on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

coben

Instructor
Apr 16, 2002
US
I've installed Proftpd on a linux box. I'm using webmin 1.06 to configure it. However, I'm stuck on where I'm supposed to configure user access. I don't want to use anonymous access. I would prefer to have a separate access file for users so they don't have shell access. However if it is simpler to grant linux users ftp access, then I'll go that route. Can anybody help? The Proftpd documentation is not too clear for someone like me who is new to linux. I'm used to configuring ftp on Enterprise Server which is a breeze. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am running proftpd in standalone mode using RH 7.3.

Hello- I had been doing some research on the internet on proftpd.conf files and ran across this:

ServerName "This is a FTP Server"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on
Port 21
Umask 022
MaxInstances 100
User nobody
Group nobody
<Directory /*>
AllowOverwrite on
</Directory>

This is a basic configuration without anon ftp access. You would configure your users from your users and groups from the system section of webmin. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back